Ballast resistors

The oil cooler fan in the front did not work properly and a common problem is faulty ballast resistors so I decided to replace them. It’s a fairly easy task on the drivers side but the one on the passenger side is more difficult as a whole lot of stuff needs to be removed.

IMG_1954

IMG_1955

IMG_1958

Door insulation

IMG_1437

The door insulation needed to be replaced as the old was completely dry and had started to fall of. I started by carefully removing the plastic adhesive film so that I could get access to the inside of the door. I removed the remainders of the insulation with a plastic scraper in order not to damage the metal. In the lower part of the picture you can see the remaining old glue which was removed with pure gasoline. I bought some new insulation with self adhesive on the back. The thickness of the insulation should be maximum 2 mm to ensure that it does not interfere with the window.

IMG_1439

Here is the finished result and I also inspected the window lifters which were fine.

 

Clutch change

Changed the clutch in June 2014. The job was carried out by the local indie. Here are some pictures where the engine has been removed from the car. The flywheel and crank seal were replaced with OEM Sachs parts which were bought from utzon.se. We also took the opportunity to change the spark plugs when the engine had been removed.

IMG_1378 IMG_1379 IMG_1460 IMG_1461 IMG_1462 IMG_1463

Calipers and rear brake refurbishment

IMG_1310

It was clear that the parking brake shoes needed to be replaced and this was a reasonably easy DIY which is well described at pelicanparts.com, “Parking brake shoe replacement” (applies to 911 – 1965-1989).

I only needed to replace the brake shoes and adjust the parking brake with access through the centre console inside the car. The adjustment procedure is well described at pelicanparts.com

 

IMG_1312

I bought OEM discs from utzon.se

The disks were easy to replace as they are only secured with two screws each. It is important to mount the disks correctly. One of the holes on the disc in the centre needs to be located over the access hole where the handbrake shoes can be adjusted.

 

Repainted calipers:

I wanted to repaint the calipers as they had some scratches and dents. One alternative could have been to disassemble all four calipers from the car but that meant disconnecting the brake lines and bleading the brake system which I wanted to avoid. Instead I decided to handpaint the outer half of each caliper and started with a thorough cleaning and sanding of each. I ordered a caliper paint set including stencils from eagleday.com.

 

IMG_1331 IMG_1334 IMG_1367

I think the end result looks pretty good!

 

Leather treatment

IMG_0951 IMG_0952

Took the drivers seat out in 2014 to re dye the bolsters primarily. The colour match was really perfect. I cut off a small piece of leather and sent to Swissvax so that they could mix the exact same colour. Before adding the dye I cleaned the seat thoroughly with Leatherique rejuvenator. Then I sanded the bolsters carefully with 1200 grit sandpaper and added some water as I sanded. After the seats were bone dry the colour was applied using a small sponge which I carefully dabbed on the seat. The result was really good (see above). The final step is to apply Leatherique Klear Kote with a matte finish. The Klear Kote needs to be blended with a special powder from Leatherique to obtain the right finish.

to be continued…